Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Baking Temperatures and Theology

I’ve been downloading various manuals while at work, looking at different formats and gleaning some good (and bad) ideas from all of them. For a portion of the day today, I read manuals on ovens, cameras, and vacuums. Occasionally, when reading instruction manuals, you come across something that strikes you – something odd or out of place. This afternoon, while perusing the last few pages of the GE Trivection Oven manual, I found one of those unexpected statements in the warranty section:

What GE will not cover:
• Damage to the product caused by accident, fire, floods, or acts of God.

I found this fascinating. I’ve never heard of God smiting household appliances before, but apparently this has come up at some point, or it would not be in the manual. But then, by making this assertion, does GE open itself up to theological debates? I mean, what if some customer’s oven is possessed by demons? Should GE be required to exorcize the spirits, since such occurrences are not acts of God?

I can see it now – two Jesuit priests standing in a dark kitchen lit only by candles, facing a dual-door convection oven with menacing red light and smoke pouring from its hellish maw, chucking holy water at it, and shouting “The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!” And all the while, there’s a GE business rep crouching in the corner, simultaneously documenting the service costs and wetting himself in terror.

I feel like writing GE and asking what prompted the inclusion of this exception.

2 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Kandice, as I'm still trying to calm myself from laughing at this post, it's hard to type, but I just thought I'd say that Katrina might have had something to do with it, or tornados, etc. Oh, and I LOVED your blog on autumn, way to call it as it is!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! GE man is wetting himself in terror, and I'm wetting myself along with my uncontrollable laughter!!

I think my GE freezer might be possessed-- yesterday it made my car alarm go off in the garage late at night! yikes! I need your friends with their holy water!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home